- This event has passed.
July 24 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Join us from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, July 24, 2022, for the Donation Drive-Thru in the Chauncey Swan Parking Ramp, Downtown Iowa City. Whether you are moving or just need to recycle or donate certain items, all Johnson County residents are welcome!
Accepted items for donation
Donation items must be gently-used and in good, working condition. Items that do not meet these specifications will not be accepted.
- Unopened/non-perishable food
- Unopened hygiene/grooming products (such as shampoo, soap, toothpaste)
- Working tools (such as hammers, screwdrivers)
- Dining tables and chairs
- Working appliances (such as refrigerators, countertop microwaves)
- Mattresses and box springs (gently-used and in good condition)
- Clothing and shoes
Accepted items for recycling
For Johnson County residents only. Businesses and non-profits: please call for more information.
- Mattresses and box springs (available for those that are no longer usable)
- $10 recycling fee per item – cash only
- Batteries (all kinds accepted)
- Books (available for books that are damaged or outdated)
- Light bulbs (CFL and LED bulbs accepted)
The event is meant to support local residents moving during the lease-turnover time at the end of July by providing disposal options for common or problematic items when moving. The City and several non-profit partners will offer these donation and recycling options.
No items will be available for purchase. Only items on the accepted items list will be accepted for donation or recycling. More info at www.icgov.org/donate.
The Iowa City Citywide Garage Sales event will be taking place the same weekend on Saturday, July 23 from 8 a.m. to noon. Updates and information on how to host a sale as part of this event will be available on the Iowa City Citywide Garage Sales Facebook page.
To view year-round secondhand and consignment options in our area for shopping, resale, and donation, check out the Iowa City Area Resale & Consignment Directory. For residents who are planning a move, view the Moving: Waste & Recycling Guide for helpful resources.