Filmscene in the Park
- This event has passed.
Filmscene in the Park
April 21 @ 7:45 pm - 9:45 pm
One event on April 24, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on April 28, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on May 1, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on May 5, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on May 8, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on May 12, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on May 15, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on May 19, 2021 at 7:45 pm
One event on May 22, 2021 at 7:45 pm
The Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department proudly announces FilmScene in the Park, an outdoor cinema partnership with FilmScene located at Chauncey Swan Park. The inaugural season of curated programming will include five acclaimed films from the past year and six family-friendly selections in partnership with the Summer of the Arts Free Movie Series.
“We are excited to bring outdoor movies to Chauncey Swan Park with FilmScene,” said
Juli Seydell Johnson, Director of Parks and Recreation. ”The recently redesigned park provides a unique and safe outdoor venue in the downtown for movies, the Iowa City Farmers Market, and other events, as we begin a return to public gatherings.”
Admission is free and open to the public. Seating will be first-come, first-served for all screenings, with movies beginning at sunset. Health and safety protocols will be in place, including social distancing aided by painted markers on the lawn. The city-wide mask mandate will be enforced when moviegoers are not eating or drinking.
FilmScene in the Park is made possible by the transformative Strengthen Grow Evolve campaign, a collaboration with The Englert Theatre, and the City of Iowa City’s Annual Park Improvement and Economic Development funds. This cooperative project supports the goals of both FilmScene and Iowa City Parks and Recreation.
“FilmScene in the Park will be a celebration of cinema and community under the stars,” said FilmScene Executive Director Andrew Sherburne. “This open-air screening venue is something we’ve envisioned for over a decade and serves us well now as a safe way to enjoy a communal arts experience.”
Outside the Ordinary – will feature award nominees and winners, festival and art house favorites from the past year that belong on a big screen to be celebrated by an audience. Free admission; film program begins at sunset. No rain dates.
- Minari (PG-13) sponsored by Bijou Film Board Wednesday, April 21, 7:54 p.m. and Saturday, April 24, 7:57 p.m.
- Wolfwalkers (PG) sponsored by MidWestOne Bank Wednesday, April 28, 8:01 p.m. and Saturday, May 1, 8:05 p.m.
- The Truffle Hunters (PG-13) sponsored by Blank and McCune Wednesday, May 5, 8:09 p.m. and Saturday, May 8, 8:12 p.m.
- Emma. (PG) sponsored by PIP Printing Wednesday, May 12, 8:16 p.m. and Saturday, May 15, 8:19 p.m.
- Nomadland (R) sponsored by the Gang of Seven Wednesday, May 19, 8:23 p.m. and Saturday, May 22, 8:26 p.m.This permanent, seasonal installation will provide space for regular movie screenings annually between April and October. Powered by a stunning 33,000-lumen 4k projector on a 48-foot screen and a 10,000 Watt sound system, FilmScene in the Park will be an unparalleled outdoor cinema experience in the region.
Chauncey Swan Park has been recently transformed into a natural amphitheater, ideal for public gatherings. The park is located at Washington and Gilbert Streets with parking available in the adjacent Chauncey Swan Parking Ramp. The screen will be mounted on the ramp, and will become a work of public art between shows with a colorful curtain featuring work by Thomas Agran, inspired by the region’s natural prairie landscape.