Summary: The Nighttime Mayor will be responsible for supporting Downtown Iowa City’s Nightlife, Arts & Culture Council and their goals to enhance downtown Nightlife and overall vibrancy. The role will be responsible for 1) supporting stakeholders and communications amongst downtown restaurants, cultural venues, bars, hotels, retailers and other entities; 2) guidance and implementation of arts-driven marketing campaigns; and 3) liaison to downtown hotels and events.
Targeted Tasks of the Position
- Nightlife, Arts & Culture Council - Lead, guide the agenda, and support the input of a quarterly Nightlife, Arts & Culture Council tasked with monitoring a vibrant night time economy and cultural scene. Assist ICDD staff shape the agendas, identify initiatives and action items, follow up and report to the ICDD Board of Directors. Manage intern staff deemed necessary to support the work.
- Marketing & Media Contact - Support implementation of a consistent nightlife, arts & culture brand developed by the ICDD, and manage the Nighttime Mayor’s social networks. Work directly with ICDD marketing staff to help guide the marketing message related to live music, film, culinary and other arts and cultural events and venues that attract people downtown. Serve as media contact for downtown nightlife.
- Cultural venue preservation and growth - As directed by ICDD staff and the Nightlife, Arts, & Culture Council, investigate opportunities to support, grow, and preserve priority arts and cultural assets as needed. Serve as point of contact for the ICDD with the Iowa Cultural Corridor Alliance and Iowa Arts Council.
- Local Host / Hotel Liaison - Connect and relay information to downtown entities, City, and University partners to support information flow related to larger community events (UCI World Cup CycloCross, Downtown Block Party, NCAA Swimming & Diving, etc). Disseminate Welcome Signs, weekend Calendar of Events, and other relevant materials to designated hotel partners. Work with the Iowa City Coralville Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) to maintain brochures in the ICDD office and provide courteous and accurate information to hotel guests, area visitors, email, and phone inquiries. Support the development of conference bids and planning itineraries for visits to Iowa City. Assist the CVB Director of Sales and with sourcing and qualifying potential groups that would be a good fit for the Iowa City Area. Assist with assembling bid packets and presentations as needed.
- Safety & Legal Liaison - Serve on the Partnership for Alcohol Safety (PAS) to support PAS initiatives related to downtown. In tandem with ICDD staff, be a connection point for downtown entities, City, and University staff to support exchange of information on matters of nighttime safety and regulations of state and local ordinances as needs arise.
Nighttime Mayor Qualifications:
- Required Skills / Experience
- Exemplary verbal and written communications skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking and conveying the assets of downtown Iowa City.
- Proficiency with posting to social networking channels and familiarity with maintaining positive standards in digital content and responses.
- Familiarity with the general vicinity of Iowa City with intimate knowledge of and affinity for the downtown and the area.
- Strong interest in arts, culture, design, and food.
- Iowa City / Coralville / University Heights / North Liberty resident.
Preferred Skills / Experience
Experience in marketing, planning, administration, cultural fields, communications, hospitality, retail, restaurant, sales, advertising, public relations, design, and/or related disciplines.
Coalition-building skills, including the ability to motivate, negotiate, and persuade stakeholders into a course of action.
- Positive attitude and passion for downtown and the region.
- Maintain a professional, diplomatic, and unbiased communication pattern to help with information exchange and working relationships between area businesses.
- Calm in conflict with the ability to listen without bias
- Inclusive of all partners and voices
- Outgoing, friendly personality, flexible, and grateful
- Strong work ethic, independent, self-motivated, detail-oriented
- Tenacious and positive, with a “can do” attitude
- Ability to take action quickly
- Creative, with innovative implementation skills and solid problem-solving capability
Arts & Cultural venues and staff
Downtown restaurants and bars
City of Iowa City
University of Iowa, Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Think Iowa City (CVB)
Partnership for Alcohol Safety
Iowa Cultural Corridor Alliance
Iowa Arts Council
Hours: Full-time, flexible schedule. Daily hours of 10am to 6pm Monday - Friday anticipated with exceptions for specific evening or weekend events. Hours will be negotiable with final candidate.
Salary: $40,000 / year with benefits
Training, Reporting: The Nighttime Mayor position will report directly to the ICDD Executive Director and also support the implementation of plans managed by other ICDD staff and the Iowa City Coralville Convention and Visitors Bureau.
This position, once proven, has the opportunity to advance within the organization.
Applicants should send the following items in one pdf digital copy to [email protected]:
- Cover letter with interest statement (page 1)
- Personal biography up to 250-words (page 2)
- Resume (up to two pages)
- Diversity statement (last page)
- Application materials received by April 1, 2019 at noon will be considered for hire. Please research the ICDD organization and our mission at downtowniowacity.com to support any questions that may arise. Interviews of successful candidates are currently planned for the week of April 15, 2019.