Membership and Development Director
FilmScene, Iowa City’s nonprofit art house cinema, seeks a charismatic and strategic leader to serve as the organization’s first full-time Membership and Development Director.
FilmScene’s Membership and Development Director cultivates a diverse contributed income stream for the organization through grants, sponsorships, memberships and philanthropic giving. Ideal candidates will be motivated to cultivate philanthropic support for our mission-based work cultivating community engagement through cinema.
The Membership and Development Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of major and individual giving, government and foundation grants, and membership programs for FilmScene. The Membership and Development Director reports to the Executive Director and works closely with FilmScene staff to ensure to create and implement the organization’s development strategy to build a diverse and sustainable revenue base
This is a new position that is a key member of FilmScene’s leadership team. It offers the opportunity to make a major impact at a dynamic and growing organization, in a community dedicated to arts excellence.
The Membership and Development Director provides internal and external leadership for the organization by cultivating relationships locally and nationally with funders and audiences to increase contributed income. The Membership and Development Director will identify new opportunities and build on FilmScene’s established success in foundational grants, corporate contributions, government grants, and private donations, as well as our robust membership program. They will assist in maintaining and growing our fiscal sponsorship program; contributing to our budgeting process; providing detailed and persuasive reports to funders, executive leadership and the board of directors.
- Serve as an internal and external leader by cultivating local and national relationships with funders, partners and audiences.
- Oversee FilmScene’s donor database including research and implementation of relationship management tools.
- Lead grants management efforts, including research, writing and reporting.
- Identify and pursue new granting opportunities to support existing and aspirational work.
- Maintain established contributed income sources and set realistic targets for incremental growth in all categories of contributed income, including memberships, donations, and grants.
- Develop strategies designed to meet annual and long-term fundraising goals.
- Oversee the planning and execution of all special fundraising events, including working with board of directors on the annual Eye Opener.
- Oversee and improve data collection to communicate the impact of our work.
- Promote and solicit sponsorships for the organization’s activities, special events, and program development initiatives.
- Work with the Executive Director to confidently communicate FilmScene’s mission and work through public speaking, grant reports, and member and donor communications.
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing members, stewarding their relationship with the organization to ensure they are satisfied and enthusiastic about their support of and engagement with FilmScene.
- Identify and qualify major giving prospects, understand the alignment of donor objectives and organizational priorities, and implement donor-centric cultivation and engagement efforts with a priority on face-to-face interaction.
- Keep learning. Be aware of useful trends and best practices in philanthropy.
- 3 or more years of professional development experience, including direct involvement with fundraising strategy development and implementation.
Desired experience with grant identification, preparation, solicitation and reporting.
- Demonstrated track record in generating revenue from major gifts, government, foundations, and other sources.
- Experience building long-term relationships with diverse stakeholders to achieve broad, mutually-satisfying goals.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines in a fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and communication skills, including public speaking abilities and persuasive writing.
- Ability to work independently and effectively coordinate a team effort.
- Ability to participate in evening and weekend activities for work-related purposes.
- Computer proficiency, including Keynote, Google Drive, Airtable, social media, and fundraising databases.
- Undergraduate degree required (advanced degree a plus).
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a small but dedicated team.
- Personable and confident demeanor.
- Fluency with office software required. Familiarity with donor management software desired.
- Familiarity with Iowa City stakeholders a plus.
Salary: $44,000-52,000 commensurate to experience, plus benefits.
Qualified applicants must be based in or relocate to Iowa City, Iowa.
FilmScene is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in all forms. We encourage applicants with a diversity of backgrounds and believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject FilmScene – Membership and Development Director. Applications accepted through July 1, 2022 or until the position is filled.
FilmScene’s mission is to challenge, inspire, educate, and entertain our diverse communities through the shared discovery of film.
FilmScene operates five screens in two full-time community-supported cinemas in downtown Iowa City, showcasing the best in American independent, documentary, and international filmmaking.
Founded in 2011, FilmScene opened a single-screen cinema in fall of 2013, FilmScene on the Ped Mall. Over the course of one decade, supported by an enthusiastic community, FilmScene has expanded twice, adding a screening room in 2013 and a second location, the three-screen state-of-the-art FilmScene at the Chauncey in 2019. In 2021, FilmScene began operating a seasonal outdoor space, FilmScene in the Park. In October 2022, FilmScene will launch the Refocus Film Festival.
Facilities growth has mirrored a growth in programming and patronage, with FilmScene now screening 300 films per year for an estimated 70,000 attendees supported by 1900 members.
To apply for this job please visit icfilmscene.org.