Classification Title: Sous Chef
Pay Grade: 2A
Percent of Time: 100%
Department: University Housing & Dining
Staff Type: Professional & Scientific
Type of Position: Regular
Salary: $38,000 - $42,000
University Housing & Dining is seeking a Sous Chef to assist in supervising the production, preparation and presentation of foods for Catlett Market Place. Will actively participate in menu planning and the introduction of new products. Will also test new or revised recipes. Will be responsible for maintaining quality and cost controls through efficient food preparation. Will schedule, train, supervise and coordinate the work of assigned staff involved in food preparation and service under the direction of the Market Place Chef.
A cooking demonstration will be required as part of the interview process for this position.
About University Dining:
University Dining’s goal at Iowa is to provide wholesome, healthy and tasty foods prepared daily to meet the dietary and nutritional needs of our students. Our staff is committed to exceeding expectations of our dining guests. We are also committed to providing sustainable products and services that protect our natural resources. When possible, we purchase locally grown and sustainable foods from our vendors. Our market places are vibrant, dynamic places to work and to eat.
About the Division of Student Life:
The Division of Student Life is comprised of staff that embrace new ideas and thoughts, works together to keep our students safe, and provides them with life-changing experiences. The Division of Student Life includes 13 departments that span from Recreation Services to Student Involvement and Leadership and everything in between. We believe in working together as one team to achieve our mission: fostering student success by creating and promoting inclusive educationally purposeful services and activities within and beyond the classroom. One of our division priorities is to advance UI’s goals to recruit and retain U.S. racial/ethnic minority (URM) staff and students.
Please attach a resume and cover letter as part of the application process. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact [email protected].
Successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Bachelor’s degree in Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, Institutional Management, Hospitality Management, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education (completion of a certificate in the Culinary Arts) and experience.
- Experience (typically 6 months – 1 year) in preparation and distribution of foods utilizing the latest techniques and knowledge of trends.
- Experience (typically 6 months – 1 year) in food service management, including supervising and inventory control.
- Working proficiency in use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Demonstrates a working proficiency in the ability to collaborate and interact with individuals and groups, while appreciating the unique contributions of diverse individuals.
- Demonstrates a working proficiency to lead and coach individuals or groups in learning and improving effectiveness in processes and procedures.
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information and needs through appropriate communication methods and behaviors at a working proficiency level.
- Ability to obtain and maintain ServSafe Certification.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to meet University Fleet Safety Program requirements.
- Experience (typically 1 – 3 years) in personnel supervision.
- Experience in banquet planning, working in a large-scale food service and retail operation.
- Some experience working with a collective bargaining unit.
- Working knowledge of electronic payroll and timekeeping systems.