The Iowa City Downtown District will use Small Business Saturday as the kick-off for all of the downtown holiday activities. Downtown Iowa City is a regional center of locally owned businesses and will once again increase the celebration the national holiday campaign, Small Business Saturday, and the importance behind shopping local.
Why Small Business Saturday is Important:
- Small Business Saturday is a day dedicated to showcasing and supporting local small businesses throughout the country.
- Downtown Iowa City has 335 businesses, 90% of which are independent businesses.
- Local businesses help to give Downtown Iowa City a distinct personality that makes shopping and visiting downtown a unique and special experience.
- According to the American Booksellers Association, over half of what you spend when you shop at a locally owned business will stay in your community supporting local organization and services.
This year, November 26th, Small Business Saturday in Downtown Iowa City will include many exciting and new features:
- Free Parking: The City of Iowa City has provided free parking in all Downtown Ramps and Street Meters on Small Business Saturday, November 26th.
- Santa Saturdays: Santa will leave his busy workshop for five special trips downtown to meet the area’s good girls and boys. Families can enjoy FREE photos with the jolly ol’ fella at FilmScene (118 E. College St.)
- Free Horse Drawn Carriage Rides: There is no better way to take in the sights and sounds for the holiday season than a horse drawn carriage ride around Downtown Iowa City. Enjoy a whimsical ride while singing carols to the tune of antique sleigh bells, nestled in the enclosed comfort provided by Country Gentleman’s Horse and Carriage. Sponsored by Hills Bank and Trust Company from 11:30-2:30pm at their downtown location, the carriage rides are FREE, but the line starts early!
- Downtown Hunt for the Elves: There will be 35 elves hiding all over Downtown Iowa City businesses waiting to be found. The community is invited to find at least 15 of the 35 elves in downtown businesses to win prizes.