Downtown Iowa City is a pedestrian paradise with a 95/100 walkability score and the hub of the City of Iowa City transportation. There are many ways to get to and around Downtown Iowa City: bus, bike, park, walk—combine them ALL!
Getting Around Downtown
3,635 spots to park in the ramp
Make the Parking Ramps your go-to choice when driving Downtown and receive your first hour free automatically! Rates in the ramp are only $1/hr after your first free hour* in most of the ramps. They are cheap, easy, and there’s always room in one of our ramps.
*The first free hour in the parking ramps does not include the Harrison Street Ramp or the Chauncey Swan Ramp, but the rates are $0.75 per hour in these ramps.
(adjacent to Old Capitol Mall)
(adjacent to Court Street Transportation Center)
(adjacent to the Graduate Iowa City Hotel)
(Near College Green Park)
(Court St & Dubuque St)
Downtown By Automobile
- Your first hour is free in the parking ramps – LEARN MORE
- 1.2 million hours of free parking per year
- Use the Park Me App for real-time parking updates
- Monthly Parking permits are available for purchase – Call 319-356-5151
- Street meters are free on Sundays
- Zip Cars are available – LEARN MORE
- 1,142 on street metered parking spots
- Solar powered meters accept coins and credit/debit cards
- Moped parking is available on street and ramp parking at designated locations that require permits – LEARN MORE
Leave Your Car at Home
– WALK, BIKE, AND RIDE
Daily errands do not require a car.
- Downtown Iowa City’s dense nature makes it a pedestrian paradise with thousands daily choosing to enjoy the sights and sounds of Downtown by foot.
Flat as a pancake, excellent bike lanes.
- Downtown itself is an excellent place to pedal instead of drive, receiving the rank of a silver-level bike-friendly community by the League of American Bicyclists. While there are hundreds of bike parking spots and bike lockers currently located in the heart of Downtown, Downtown Iowa City and the City of Iowa City are actively working on building up the bike infrastructure available in downtown to plan for a bike-sharing system, protected bike lanes, and the installation of a new bike parklet on Dubuque St.
UBER & Taxi
- Taxi services and the car-sharing service UBER are available all hours of the day and in all locations of downtown.
- Taxi and UBER services are available to and from the Eastern Iowa Airport.
- Getting into Downtown and around the area is fast, easy and inexpensive with the *City of Iowa City’s bus routes connecting downtown to all parts of the community as well as Coralville.
- Map your bus routes and get live information on bus schedules – GET STARTED
- Single rides start at $1. There are 10-day and 31-day passes available, as well as student-discounted prices and off-peak hour discounts. See details – LEARN MORE
*Iowa City Transit operates every half-hour on most routes during “rush” hour, 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Hourly service runs 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 11:20 p.m., and all day Saturday from 5:30 a.m. to 7:40 p.m.
Bus stops are clearly marked throughout the city, and each stop provides the route number(s) and operating times for all buses serving that stop.
- Bus service between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City is offered by 380 Express with fares as low as $3.50 serving the following stops in both locations:
– Cedar Rapids Ground Transportation Center
– Kirkwood Community College Park and Ride Lot
– Coralville Intermodal Facility (Iowa River Landing District )
– The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (Hawkins Drive)
– AM Southbound stop on west side of Hawkins Drive near the intersection of Evashevski Drive
– PM Northbound stop on east side of Hawkins Drive at Center for Disabilities and Development
– Downtown Iowa City Court Street Transportation Center