Downtown Block Party
Saturday, June 23rd, 2018 5 - 11 p.m.
The first Downtown Block Party in 2017 brought an estimated 30,000 on a Saturday night to Downtown Iowa City for community fun! For 2018, the event will be back on June 23rd from 5-11pm. This is the ulimate BLOCK PARTY for the entire community!
This is a all ages, welcome to everyone and anyone event that will include: Live Music stages, Sand Volleyball in the MIDDLE of a city street, Hatchet Throwing demonstrations, Circus Fashion Show, Dj Competition, Silent Disco, Outdoor Movie, Ping Pong, Giant Jenga, Mini Golf, Four Square, Lighting Painting, Video Game Tournament, Alleyway Movie, Tug of War tournament!
Although the event is at night, come down during the day and enjoy FREE Parking and enjoy shopping all day and don’t worry about taking home your bags because CHOMP delivery will pick up your purchases and deliver them next day to your house in Iowa City, North Liberty, Coralville or Tiffin see more…
*Please note: This is a rain or shine event. (There will be no ticket refunds.)
Ticket purchase : Tickets can be purchased before the the event online below or here.
During the event you will be able to get your wristbands and cups at 7 stations throughout downtown for $11 (CASH ONLY)
*PRE-SALE TICKET BOOTHS will be located next to each station with their own tents and tables to allow people to move through lines quicker.
Entertainment and Activities
Registration for our Sand Volleyball Tournament is now full!
Registration for our Tug of War Tournament is full!
SO what is all of the programming happening during the Block Party event?
The idea is to have programming throughout the entire downtown area that appeals to anyone and everyone. All of the programming is FREE.
- 4:00-9pm on the street by 14 S Clinton St- DJ competition sponsored by Fleck Sales: Coors Light, Miller Lite, PBR, Laguintas, New Belgium and programmed by Gabe’s
- 4:00-9pm on the street by 204 E Washington St- Sand Volleyball Tournament (Pre-registration is required)
- 4:30pm- Start selling wristband/cups (cash only)- Pre-sale can start picking up their materials at booths
- 5:00-6:15pm on the street by 28 S Linn St- Drag Show programmed by Studio 13
- 5:00-7:00pm on pop-up stage outside of Bread Garden- The Center performances including barn dancing, reading out loud etc.
- 5:00-10pm on the street by 118 E Washington St- Dueling Pianos sponsored by Iowa City Area Association of Realtors and Hills Bank and Trust
- 5:00-11pm on the street by 112 S Linn St.- Mini Golf
- 5:00-10pm- In the Iowa City Public Library- Video Game Tournament
- 6:00-11pm on the street by 21 S Dubuque St- Silent Disco sponsored by UICCU
- 6:00-8pm in the Iowa City Public Library story room- Light Painting with the Iowa Children’s Museum
- 6:45-10pm on the street by 28 S Linn St- The Englert Theatre Live Music Stage: Featuring Subatlantic, Sister Wife, and Flint Eastwood sponsored by Fleck Sales: Coors Light, Miller Lite, PBR, Laguintas, New Belgium
- 8:00-10pm in the alleyway behind Yotopia/TCB/FilmScene/Brothers – Outdoor Movie: Ghostbusters presented by FilmScene.
- 8:30-10pm on the street by 102 S Clinton St- Blu Collar Fashion Show Circus Fashion Show and Circus Aerial Performers
- 9:40-11pm on the street by 204 E Washington St.- Tug of War Tournament (Pre-registration required)
How is this event different from other downtown Iowa City events?
- This event is at night! The focus will be on the evening hours.
$10 (presale) or $11 at the event tickets will be purchased, this will buy you the official event wristband and cup that will allow you to walk around the event with beer or wine- ONLY guests with these materials (event wristband and cup) will be allowed to do so. Wristbands only need to be purchased if you are consuming alcohol.
The event will focus on our existing business economy. Meaning ALL food and drinks will be purchased at the businesses. Go to any business in the event layout to purchase your food and drinks!
The event will have a very open feel to the layout. Programming will be spread out to allow for a comfortable feel and relaxed crowd flow
Downtown Block Party FAQ
Can I purchase a Cup/Wristband the night of the event? Will you sell out?
Yes, you can purchase at one of the 7 booths that will be selling cups/wristbands. PLEASE note ***these are cash only booths. If you don’t have cash with you when you arrive there are a number of ATMS in downtown, including some inside of the bars and restaurants. $11 for day of cups/wristbands
NO, we won’t “sell” out.
Do I have to be 21+ to attend the Downtown Block Party?
No, this is an all ages event. However, you must be 21+ with a valid ID to purchase a ticket and take beer or wine throughout the event.
Do I need to buy a ticket to attend the Downtown Block Party?
No, you only need to purchase a ticket if you wish to take beer or wine from restaurant/bar to the streets. All other elements of this event are free and open to the public.
Can I bring my family?
Yes, this is a family event. We have a lot of entertainment and programming events scheduled throughout the night that are free and open to everyone.
Who can give me a ride home if I plan on drinking?
There are plenty of taxi companies, as well as Uber and Lyft, in Iowa City that can safely get you where you need to be. The Downtown Block Party does not support, condone, or encourage drunk driving at all. Please make a responsible and smart decision and take a taxi or Uber/Lyft home or arrange a ride from a sober friend if you are impaired.
What will I do with my car if I find an alternative ride home?
All parking ramps and metered spots will be free on Saturday, June 23rd until 10:30 Sunday morning, so you can leave your car and come get it Sunday morning if you need to find a safe, alternative ride home.
You said you donate to over 15 local charities, who?
Yes, we donate to over 15 local non-profits, clubs and organizations. These groups help us put on the event and in exchange we donate to their cause.
Friends of the Animal Foundation
West High Cheer
University of Iowa Urban and Regional Planning
Bur Oak Land Trust
Little Hawk Cheer
Coralville Food Pantry
UI Mobile Clinic
Society for Human Resources
Iowa Eels Swim Team
UI Mobile Clinic
UI Dance Marathon
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity
Thank you to our 2018 sponsors!
Thank you to our 2018 volunteers!
- Friends of the Animal Foundation
- Hills Bank & Trust Company
- Iowa City Area Association of Realtors
- University of Iowa Community Credit Union
- West High Cheer
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Little Hawk Cheer
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders Association
- Bur Oak Land Trust
- University of Iowa Mobile Clinic
- Domestic Violence Intervention Program (DVIP)
- Combined Efforts
- AG Clark
- Coralville Food Pantry
- Young Life
- University of Iowa Eels Swim Team
- Society for Human Resources
- Public Access Television (PATV)
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity
- Mayor’s Youth Empowerment Program (MYEP)