The City of Iowa City, in partnership with the Iowa City Downtown District and Johnson County, will hold the 5th Annual Farm to Street Dinner sponsored by GreenState Credit Union on North Linn Street in Iowa City from 5:00-8:00pm on Thursday, August 19th. The event includes a multi-course meal prepared by Iowa City Downtown District chefs with food sourced from local producers. The goal of the Farm to Street Dinner is to bring together members of Iowa City’s diverse, vibrant community to share a table, a story, and a meal, while supporting local food systems.
Farm to Street Dinner
August 19, 2021
In 2016, the first Farm to Street Dinner was held after a partnership between the three organizations was formed to increase awareness of local food being used in local restaurants and as a way to generate funds for a chosen non-profit that is working with local food in Johnson County. Each year, the revenue from the Farm to Street Dinner is awarded to an area organization that is working to enhance our local food system. Applications are selected based on certain below criteria by a committee of volunteers who organize the event. This application is open to all Iowa City/Johnson County organizations who meet the criteria.
This event aims to bring together eaters throughout our diverse and vibrant community to share a table, a story, and a meal. This incredible six-course meal will be prepared by some of Iowa City’s best chefs utilizing local ingredients. Each selected chef will work closely with local producers to prepare one course of the six-course meal. Along with food, one glass of wine is included in the ticket purchase for all guests age 21+ with valid ID. Additionally, all guests age 21+ are welcome to bring a bottle of wine to enjoy with your meal. “Wine Doggy Bags” will be provided, allowing guests to take unfinished bottles of wine home with them.
2021 Farm to Street Participating Restaurants & Menu:
- Appetizer: The Keto Kitchen
- Small Plate: The Webster
- Small Plate: Goosetown Café
- Main Course: St. Burch Tavern
- Small Plate: Oasis Falafel
- Dessert: Crepes de Luxe Café
2021 Farm to Street Dinner Information:
- Along with food, one glass of wine is included in the ticket purchase for all guests age 21+ with valid ID. Options of Red or White wine from Brix Cheese Shop & Wine Bar and Sangria from Get Fresh Cafe. Additionally, all guests age 21+ are welcome to bring a bottle of wine to enjoy with your meal. “Wine Doggy Bags” will be provided, allowing guests to take unfinished bottles of wine home with them.
- 2021 tickets are available individually or for an entire table of six. Special dietary menus can be selected for Vegetarian and Gluten-Free. If you are purchasing for a table of six and need some dietary accommodations, after purchasing, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2021 Changes & Updates: For the safety of attendees, the tables will be slightly distanced from one another, but will still encompass that community table atmosphere.
- *Please note- unvaccinated (for COVID-19) attendees are asked to wear a face covering when not eating or drinking.
2021 Farm to Street Beneficiary:
- The Eastern Iowa Young Farmers Coalition is a group of farmers and consumers. They champion the collective interests of young and beginning farmers throughout the state of Iowa. Iowa is a state with a long agricultural history and rich soil– a perfect ground to grow young farmers. However, the state’s social and political landscape and food system do not make it easy for young farmers to get started or continue farming, and it is the focus of EIYFC to grow their own successful businesses and support their peers through policy and community change.
- Farmers in Iowa City/Johnson County organize and collaborate through the Eastern Iowa Young Farmers Coalition. They are developing leaders in Iowa City/Johnson County who, through their farms and community engagement, are working toward and advocating for a strong, intact local food system that will ensure long-term food security for all residents of Iowa City/Johnson County. They also support and champion farms that grow through regenerative, sustainable agricultural practices that protect the future generations of land, soil, water, animals in Iowa and beyond.
- The Eastern Iowa Young Farmers Coalition provides food to numerous Johnson County/Iowa City restaurants, school districts, institutions, CSAs, farmers markets, and more. By mobilizing these hard-working, innovative young farmers, these funds will build the capacity and strength of the local food system by developing a stronger support network for young farmers and ensure long-term voices for the area farmers who are essential to providing the food for their community.
- As recipients of the 2021 Farm to Street funding, they will build the Coalition’s capacity to serve as a vital network for new and young beginning farmers in the community. A strong and successful Coalition has the opportunity to connect new farmers with mentors in the community, a national network of other young farmers, and raise the voice of young farmers at the state and national level. Currently, chapter leaders engage with local and state legislators to inform and develop policy that supports young farmers and the future of farming in Iowa.
A big THANK YOU to 2021’s Farm to Street Dinner Sponsors:
THANK YOU to 2021’s Farm to Street Dinner Partners: